Telecom Sector Security
The unprecedented growth of Telecom sector in emerging economies like Asia, Africa and South America has resulted in rapid expansion of the network, addition of value-added services, and resultant increase in complexity of the entire setup. In the hurry to increase the market share through innovative network services, often security threats are ignored. However, cyber-criminals have begun to increasingly target telecom infrastructure, especially as it becomes IP-based with the arrival of LTE. Also, the increasing regulations towards telecom security have created quite a challenge that telecom companies are seeking to address.
Telecom Security Threats:
Major threats to Telecom Security usually fall into the following categories:
- Phone Fraud – Toll Fraud, Cramming, Telemarketing Fraud, War Dialing , and so on
- Theft – Data theft, network abuse, illegal data interception, unauthorized data modification (in billing or routing based processes)
- Malware – Viruses, trojan horse
- Spam – Sending Spam messages via SMS, MMS
- Denial of Service attacks – Request flooding, DoS attacks against network infrastructure.
- Data leakage – Penetrating billing and CRM systems to extract customer data
Typical Security Challenges
Telecom Companies face the following security challenges:
- Vendor apathy
- Lack of good testing tools
- Lack of security know-how
- Absence of proper testing setup
- Absence of proper monitoring
- Supply chain risks
How can Irisk help you?
At Irisk, we offer Telecom Security Assessment services in the following domains
- LTE Equipment security testing
- GSM Internet Data Access Penetration testing
- GPRS Internet Data Penetration testing
- SMS Spoofing and POC
- Lawful Interception System/Gateway Security Audits
- IVR Security Testing
- Telecom SAP Implementation Security Assessment
- X.25 Security Audit
- SS7 Gateways & Process Security Review
Further, we can work with your IT and network teams to help implement security solutions such as Cyber Ark, SIEM, Web Application Firewalls, and others to address specific security challenges.
We recommend controls for mitigating identified security threats. through our expert security test reports, which provide clarity to top management and help prioritize actions for the security team in taking the recommended steps for threat avoidance and risk mitigation.